Swimming Lesson Part 1

Last week, I started swimming...yes, swimming. 
Ever since I joined VO2 Maximum back in March 2017, I understood they were a Tri club. I helped at their second Edenbridge Triathlon and saw athletes of all ages and abilities swim, cycle and run through a Sprint class tri. 
Setting up the VO2 Edenbridge Sprint Triathlon
Throughout the summer, I kept saying to Jimmy and Paula, 'I will not be a swimmer, I cannot swim.'
Fast forward three months. I am sitting on the edge of Sevenoaks School - Swimming pool, getting a quick run down of what the other two club members are going to be doing during their session.
Listening to their exercises, I start to wonder if I have done the right thing. They sound terrifyingly complicated. 
I get in the pool and with lane 1 all to myself, Jimmy asks the inevitable 'I want to see you swim up to the other end and back again' I pull on my swim hat and goggles and show my impressive splashing skills to the best of my ability.

I learnt to swim at primary school. We had an outside pool which we used once or twice a week during the summer periods. Learning the very basics of breast stroke, crawl and the occasional back stroke. I never imagined that nearly 20 years later I would be considering learning to swim again...this time properly.
Sevenoaks School - Swimming Pool

Jimmy gave me some pointers and some aides to help slow me down and correct my water dynamics. I was given a float and whilst kicking my flippers, I just had to dip my head under water, breathe out, count to three, come back up, breathe in and go back under. It was overwhelming. Failure to breathe at the right time, getting water in my goggles and the influx of water in my mouth, was hard to get to grips with.
A few more drills and we called it a night. 

I didn't think a week later I would be sitting on the edge of the pool once again.
Jimmy wanted to break down my technical weaknesses. I was given some different drill to correct my breathing which was the first thing we had to get right to stop me panicking half way down the lane. Under water drills seemed to be the hardest. But something clicked, I hadn't yet managed to swim a whole length under water without panicking, but my last two lengths were (what I thought) perfect. I had cracked it! I had stopped lifting my head, instead, I was now rotating my body when I needed to breathe. I had no idea how easy it becomes with a little bit of technical adjustment and an amazing coach.

Will I continue swimming? Definitely. 
Will I consider a triathlon? Yes

There is a long way to go, but my experiences over the last two weeks have been fantastic. If you want to find out more about VO2 Fitness click here.

Comments